Central Federal District
Time: Moscow Time Zone (MSK/MSD).
Local time now:
Federal district: Central Federal District.
Main cities: Bui, Nerekhta, Sharya, Manturovo, and Galich.
Land and Resources: Kostroma Region is located in the central part of the East European Plain bordering on Ivanovo, Yaroslavl, Volgograd, Kirov, and Nizhny Novgorod regions. Much of the area is covered by woods, making it one of the principal timber producing regions in Europe. The main river is the Volga and its tributaries the Kostroma, Uzhnya, and Vetluga rivers. There are many lakes in the region, the largest of which are Galichskoe and Chukhlomskoe.
Climate: Most of Kostroma Region has a temperate continental climate with an average January temperature of -12 °C and an average July temperature of +18 °C.
Transportation: Kostroma is a large port on the Volga. There are railway connections to Yaroslavl and Galich, and highway connections to Ivanovo. There is a river port and an airport in Kostroma.
Kostroma is an historic city in central Russia. A part of the Golden ring of the Russian towns, it is located at the confluence of the Volga and Kostroma Rivers.
One of the best preserved examples of the 18th century town planning, Kostroma retains some elegant structures in a "provincial neoclassical" style. These include a governor's palace, a fire tower, a rotunda on the Volga embankment, and an arcaded central market with a merchant church in the center.
Built in 1559-1565, the five-domed Epiphany Cathedral was the first stone edifice in the city; its medieval frescoes perished during a fire several years ago. The minster houses the city's most precious relic, a 10th-century Byzantine icon called Our Lady of St. Theodore. It was with this icon that Mikhail Romanov was blessed by his mother when he left for Moscow to claim the Russian throne.
Points of interest include Uspensky Cathedral (founded 13th century, reconstructed late 18th century).
The Ipatievsky monastery survives mostly intact, with its 16th-century walls, towers, belfry, and the 17th-century cathedral.
Apart from the monasteries, most of the city churches were either rebuilt or demolished during the Soviet years. Among the vestiges of the Godunov rule, a fine tent-like church in the village Krasnoe-on-the-Volga (formerly an estate of Boris Godunov's brother) may be recommended.
Major historic towns include Kostroma, Sharya, Nerekhta, Galich, Soligalich, and Makaryev.
The theater arts are also well represented in the region. There are theaters of all scales from student and avant-garde to serious and classical theaters. Contemporary art is on display at museums, art galleries, and exhibitions. For the younger generation, there are sports clubs, cafes, casinos, entertainment centers, and discos.
Kostroma has preserved many works of great Russian sculptors. One of the monuments of the old city are the market arcades built in the main square many centuries ago. Another attraction and ornament of the city is the fire tower built by the architect Fursov. A large number of churches were built in Kostroma during the period of classicism, many of which exist to this day. The Kostroma Historical and Architectural Museum is located within Trinity (Troitsky) Cathedral at the Ipatyevsky (St. Ipaty) Monastery, and beside it is the Museum of Russian Wooden Architecture. Troitsky Cathedral amazes visitors with its loftiness and beauty. The cathedral also has a unique work of decorative carving: a royal chapel that was a gift of Mikhail Romanov. The cathedral's greatest possessions are a large number of icons and splendid works made of wood, bone, and stone by Old Russian craftsmen.
In the Church of the Resurrection on-the-Debre (Khram Voskreseniya Khristova na Debre), you can see the original paintings of the Three Saints Chapel (Trekhsvyatitelsky predel).
The doors are always open at the Museum of Fine Arts in Kostroma, which occupies the premises of the former Romanov Museum. The museum has a large collection of paintings by great past and contemporary artists. The Old Provincial Theater, which was founded in 1808 and is now called the Ostrovsky Drama Theater, also operates in Kostroma.
Fire-observation tower is a symbol of Kostroma
Revival Church on Debra
Row of stalls
the Center of Kostroma, construction of the beginning of XIX century
Encarta World Atlas
http://www.region.kostroma.net/ - Official Site of the Administration of Kostroma Region